How to Measure for Bay Windows
For most things in life, the route to success lies in effective planning, and selecting and installing window blinds is no exception. Ensuring that you have the full measurements for your window recess before you pick out a style or design will help to avoid any issues with ill-fitting blinds further down the line.
Measuring your windows is a reasonably intricate task at the best of times (apart from when you call on the experts at Gemini Blinds for free home surveys and measuring!), but when tackling a bay window, things become even harder!
How to measure
Here are a few ways to get around it and make sure that your bay window blind is a perfect fit…
- As with most tasks, ensuring that you are properly equipped is the best place to start. Get hold of a pencil, a sturdy tape measure (metal is best) and a couple of sheets of A4 paper.
- By now, you should already have an idea in your head of the type of blind you’re looking to install, whether a luxurious pleated blind, or a sleek and modern aluminium blind. The style that you opt for will have an impact on the measurements that you take, so be sure to decide this before you start.
- Use your paper to demonstrate the depth of the head rail of the blind type you are measuring for. This can be achieved by folding the paper widthways to the length of the gap between the window recess and the blind that you require. For roller and Venetian blinds, this is about 6.5cm, while for Roman blinds this is normally about 4.5cm. Remember to factor in any obstructions that might be an issue, and add these into the size of the fold in the paper.
- Place your A4 markers level with the inside angles of the bay, bringing them together so that they are flush to the window and the corners of the paper meet, and mark each meeting point with your pencil (points 1 & 2).
- Measure between these points, giving you the measurement for the flat middle window of the bay.
- Next, measure across the left hand window, starting from point 1 and ending at the far left of the window. Do the same with the right window and point 2.
- Make a note of the recess drop measurements on each window frame.
This should be sufficient for ensuring that you can order made to measure blinds that will fit perfectly into your bay window. But fear not if you find this difficult – regardless of the size or shape of your bay windows, the friendly team here at Gemini Blinds are on hand to carry out free home visits, providing accurate measuring services for all windows, as well as offering advice and no obligation quotations.
Our extensive range includes a number of attractive designs to suit all bay windows – all available at highly competitive prices. We can create made to measure models tailored to your needs, so don’t hesitate to get in touch today for more information.