How to Dress Your House for Sale
The housing market can be incredibly competitive and it can be hard to help your property make a statement. A prospective buyer can normally tell straight away whether or not they’re interested in your home, so it’s vital to make an impact. But how can you ensure your property stands out from the crowd? This is where staging your home can help.
Here at Gemini Blinds, we’re your local experts in all things interior design and have written this handy guide on how to dress your house for sale.
What is home staging?
When you stage your home, you prepare it in a way that will be most attractive to potential buyers. You might think this just involves doing a spot of dusting and cleaning up any clutter, but staging your home is so much more than that; it’s using decorative elements, lighting and other features to show your home in the best possible light. Essentially, dressing your home involves stripping away your personal style to create a universally appealing interior.
Is it better to stage a home or have it empty?
The choice of whether or not to stage your home largely depends on your budget, goals and circumstances. However, Rightmove estimates that, as well as staged homes securing more viewings, they can also sell for up to 8% more than a non-staged home.
Dressing your home is a worthwhile investment that can offer numerous benefits such as:
- Faster sale: If a potential buyer can envision themselves living in your home, they’re more likely to put in an offer, thus speeding up the purchasing process.
- Spaces appear bigger: If your space is poorly furnished or improperly laid out, it can make your rooms look much smaller. By thoughtfully staging your interior, you can help your home to appear much more spacious and inviting.
- Adds value: Staging a property showcases its full potential and helps to justify a higher asking price.
- Best first impression: Often, most prospective buyers know within seconds whether or not a property is a good fit for them. Dressing your property in the right way can help to make the best possible first impression and immediately capture their interest.
- Distracts from any negatives: Strategic staging can help to highlight all the best areas in a home and steer attention away from any less-than-desirable features.
5 ways to stage a home for sale
- Replace your blinds and curtains: Windows are one of the first features to draw the eye upon entering a room; therefore, it’s important to have the right blinds and curtains. If your blinds and curtains look worn, dated or unappealing, you should consider investing in some stylish new window treatments that better complement the aesthetic of your space. Perhaps you’d like to add a rustic look with some plantation shutters? Or maybe you’re looking to maximise natural light with allusion blinds? Whatever the style, colour or pattern you prefer, Gemini Blinds can help with our comprehensive range of products.
- Introduce some greenery: Incorporating fresh flowers or potted plants can add a touch of nature to your home and make the space feel fresher and more inviting. And they don’t have to be real either! You can easily add fake floral arrangements instead if you’d prefer a more low-maintenance alternative.
- Refresh the exterior of your home: Outdoor space is a hugely attractive feature for any property, so it’s important to make sure your garden looks as well maintained as possible. Get rid of any weeds or debris, mow the grass and ensure the area looks tidy and presentable. You could also look at investing in some outdoor products that will improve the appeal of the space. Pergolas, awnings and canopies are all highly sought-after features for any home: they offer weather protection, allow year-round use of your garden and may even boost your property value.
- Use mirrors: Strategically positioned mirrors are a simple and affordable way to amplify natural light and help your interior feel brighter. As mirrors reflect light, they can also create the illusion of more space to make your room appear larger.
- Add soft furnishings: From cosy cushions and bed runners to stylish lampshades, soft furnishings are a great way to create a warmer and more comfortable space. You could choose neutral tones for a minimalist aesthetic or bold, patterned shades to give your space a pop of colour.
Are you looking to dress your house ready for a sale? Here at Gemini Blinds, we supply and install all the products you could need to help your property look its best, from stylish blinds to cosy soft furnishings. Our experts have more than 40 years of experience working in homes across Liverpool, Manchester, Chester and the surrounding regions.
For more information on our wide range of services, get in touch with our friendly team today.